Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't Be Such A Sissy; Sharing the gospel with Boldness



Romans 1:16
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes...

As we were walking into our apartment yesterday evening carrying our luggage from the weekend- we were greeted by our neighbors (the neighbors that blast their music starting at 8am, and always seem to have friends over), holding the door open for us as we entered our apartment complex.  Two young men, holding their cigarettes, taking a smoke break.  They asked us how our weekend was, and after a couple more words of small talk we said goodbye and went inside. 

But you know, I couldn't seem to get those young boys off my mind.  I wondered about them that evening...what did they do for a living?  Where they students?  Where they Christians?  Did they ever hear about Jesus and His love for them?

What I couldn't seem to get off my mind was that I let an opportunity to invest in someone's life completely pass.  They were so kind and polite to us...they were the ones who struck up a conversation....and for some reason, I was so preoccupied with my own life that I failed to live my life for others.  Ironically, that's the very thing Jesus calls us to do every day.
 
You know,  I've been thinking about the concept of silence in the body of believers.  I've realized that our silence as Christians can be chalked up to a couple things.  Sometimes we are self absorbed and distracted, sometimes we lack confidence, but sometimes....we're straight up ashamed.  Embarrassed.  Afraid.  We don't want to start the conversation out of fear of what others will think or what they may say.  We're such sissy's sometimes. 

It's so much easier to start up a conversation about the Lord at my Saturday morning ministry...where that's my "ministry"....but what about my neighbors? My coworkers?  My family?  My friends?  For some reason, it's easy to start up a chat about the game, the weather, even politics....but sharing the gospel...that kind of sharing strikes a whole new cord.

I've been practicing boldness in my life lately.  I've been practicing being still, and simply listening to the Spirit's leading in my life.  Once God's Spirit led me to pay for an old man in front of me in line at Walmart, another time It led me to confront a lady about her past and God's presence in her life even through her pain....but more recently, It's led me to talk to a young woman I met about Jesus- and invite her to church. 

She didn't say much and we parted ways.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in my regular spot at church- and in walks the young woman, an anxious smile on her face- stepping into church for the first time in her life.  What a moment.  I was ecstatic and ashamed.  Ecstatic because she was there....ashamed because I didn't even consider that she might actually come.  We forget the power of the gospel.  That young woman has given her life to the Lord and has attended church ever since.  I am watching God powerfully at work in her life.  It's truly amazing. 

The gospel, which is the power of God to bring salvation to everyone who believes...there is power there....power that is far beyond us....power that we forget to tap into because of our own human frailty.

I want to do something for the boys downstairs.  I don't know what, yet....but I know I want to do something.  Maybe bake them a plate of cookies....maybe strike up a conversation and invite them to church...I have a couple ideas.

But one thing for sure, I want to take pride in the gospel.  I want to believe more and more in the power that is at work beyond my own humanity.  I want to be in tune to God's spirit, and take the opportunities He gives me to proclaim His gospel with boldness and confidence.  I want to have 100% trust that there is power in the words of God's truth....power that will touch lives, power that will move hearts, power that will bring salvation.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts...