Friday, September 30, 2011

What Could Have Been:



2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

I've had the honor of meeting some really incredible men and women over the course of the past few weeks who have really reminded me why I am a follower of Christ.  

Men and women who's lives have been radically changed from darkness into light, from dysfunction into healing, from brokenness into new hope.


It never ceases to amaze me when I hear their stories.  The chains of addictions wrapped around their lives.  Addiction to drugs, sex, relationships.  Addiction to approval, alcohol, and material things.  Broken hearts, destitute spirits, and hopeless futures.  It's amazing to hear the incredible stories of how God took their hurts and their shame...and brought them into something new.

The old has gone, the new has come. 

It reminds me of the power of the love of God through Jesus.  It reminds me of the hope to which I cling.  It reminds me that there is some real power behind the Spirit that is living inside of my heart. 

But it also saddens me.  

I'm saddened because at times, I take my story so lightly.

Sometimes I forget what a privilege it is to be living in the "new".  I've been in relationship with Jesus for most of my adult life.  Having made that choice, and accepting that gift, I've been doing my best to live a life guided my God's Spirit at work in me.  Offering me hope, freedom, and joy ever since.

There is something incredible about that.  There is something incredible to think of who I am today and imagine what could have been if Jesus had not captured my heart. 


My story should cause me to celebrate every day at what should have been...but isn't. 

Thank you Jesus that you enter my present each and every single day, and that you rescue my future. 

The old has gone, the new has come.  May we never take that lightly. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. A great reminder to celebrate what Christ has done for me too... I am so glad He gives us hope in every circumstance... we must never take it for granted or forget what might have been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest things to celebrate and proclaim often is our new standing with God in Christ Jesus! It's a great joy in understanding the fullness of God's love for us (1Jn.3:1-3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, you are so right, I am glad for the Hope that we have...something not to be taken lightly.

    Moyo, If only I could have the discipline in my life to celebrate this truth often! I want to be in constant celebration.

    Thanks for reading and for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts...