Monday, November 15, 2010

In God We Trust...Or do We?



Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are stayed on Thee, because they trust in you. 

"Habit is overcome by habit.  A habit of worry must be replaced with a habit of trust"-Thomas A Kempis
It's sort of ironic that I carry around a purse full of coins that loudly proclaim my undivided trust in God...because the reality is, trust is something I struggle with each and every single day. 

And on top of my own trust issues...there's nothing more difficult than trusting God with your life...than trusting Him with the lives of others.  I've always struggled with this.  Anyone that knows me well will tell you - I tend to be a worrier.  I find myself particularly worried about things that are completely out of my hands, which in most cases, has to do with the people I love.

I worry about my husband, driving home from work on a snowy day.  I worry about my parents, their health, and the future.  I worry about my brother, hoping he makes all the best choices and decisions in his life.  I worry about the patients I see as a counselor- the difficult journeys that they face. I worry about my loved ones who don't know Jesus and the path their lives will take.  And now that I'm a mom, I find myself worrying about my baby girl...her health, her safety, her needs.

I know, I know...there are hundreds of verses in the bible about worry.  In fact, God clearly tells us not to worry about our lives, what we will eat, what we will drink, what we will wear.  And most days, I can ultimately grasp that.  I can hand Him my life.  I can face my fears.  I can trust Him with my future...

But what about the ones I love?  For some reason...for me, this kind of trust takes a greater faith. 

I'm learning to trust God with others.  It's been hard for me, but I am learning to let go and realize that He loves and cares for each and every one of them in ways I can't even comprehend.  I'm learning to hold those I love dearly with open hands trusting that there is a God who knows them far beyond my most intimate moments...and that He knows what's best.  He has their days numbered, their decisions guarded, and their lives protected.

He takes care of what I can't. 

If He really is God...He can be trusted.  And when we trust Him...we will finally be in perfect peace.  

So let's take some time to asses our beliefs: In God we trust...or do we?

2 comments:

  1. DEBRA perfect timing for this subject...I have had to re lean trusting GOD especially in the area of my kids....I came to realize this last week...I know God is with my daughter .. I just know he is there.. But my fear...and UN trusting comes when I know he won't intervene in her choices.. He won't stop it...So this trusting GOD thing is really a hard concept..I just sit and :::::::bang my head on keyboard::::::::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bongo, so glad to hear your story....I will be thinking and praying for you as you learn to trust God with your daughter...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts...