Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lessons from a McDonalds Drive Through: On Real comfort



2 Corinthians 1:3-4
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 

I was having a particularly difficult week.  My situation seemed quite over my head, and I wasn't sure how I was going to come out on the other side.  I didn't feel like I had the strength...nor was I sure if I even wanted the strength to get through.  Sometimes it seems easier just to give up, doesn't it? 

I had a short break in my day, and felt my stomach growling in hunger.  It was the first sign of hunger I had felt in many days, as my situation seemed to overwhelm even my natural desires.  The closest stop?  McDonalds.  Good ol' comfort food, maybe that would make me feel a little better.

As I pulled through the drive through and placed my order, a young man greeted me at the next window.  His dark, braided hair flowed in dread locks, tucked away in a ponytail behind his work visor. 

"How are you today, ma'am?"

"Doing well" I lied, "How about yourself?"

"I'm hanging in there."

We could have stopped there, and my flesh really wanted to.  I wasn't necessarily in the mood to have a chat...but something inside of my soul begged me to press on...

"Just hanging in there?  Well, is there anyway that I can be praying for you Ryan?" I chose to step outside of myself as I read the nametag on his uniform.

"I got lots of people praying for me, but sure.  Tomorrow is my birthday...and I'm working.  I have a job interview for a new job too.  Seems like all I do is work these days.  You see, life has been hard for me.  My dad died, my grandma recently died...and I'm just trying to make it through.  Their deaths really took a toll on my life, but, I guess I'm proud of myself that I've stayed off the streets and outta drugs.  I'm trying to get through, and go to college..."


We spoke for a good five minutes.  He shared some stories from his life and some of his struggles.  And believe it or not, there was not a single car waiting behind me in this usually busy location. 

I encouraged Ryan the best I could, and as I drove away, I prayed for him....that God would bless this young man, that he would strengthen him.  That God would work miracles in his life and most importantly show Himself to him.  That God would comfort his heart...and that he would bless him on his birthday, his job interview, and for the rest of his life.

I don't know how to explain it...but my interaction with Ryan that day was just what I needed to take my eyes off of myself for a moment.  I was able to comfort him...and in comforting him, I felt an overwhelming amount of peace, joy, and comfort.  I was able to step back and take a look at the purpose of my life...a purpose that had been buried by my emotions...a purpose that had taken the back seat to my anxiety and fears.   The purpose?  To love God...and to love others.  A purpose that overwhelms me with peace and grace every time I choose to accept it. 

I can honestly say, the greatest lesson I learned this week took place at a McDonald's drive through...one of the most unexpected places.  And at the end of the day, my comfort came not from a by then cold burger and fries....but by the precious love and grace of my Savior...a grace that floods my heart and carries me through: when I let it. 

Thank you God for your overwhelming comfort...help us to comfort others. 

6 comments:

  1. This blessed me Deb! Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie!! So glad I could encourage you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I love reading your blogs! They are so encouraging, and your passion for Christ is amazing..God has given you so many beautiful gifts. Thank you for sharing and keeping God alive in so many of our lives. These are such encouraging things to read! God Bless, Love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thanks that means so much! I really appreciate you reading along....may God continue to inspire and encourage you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a particularly hard week...but your post made me smile..It's true when you can help someone else you can get out of your own head...and even feel better.... thanx for reminding me :)

    http://bongoisme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bongo, that made my day to hear that I could help and bring a smile to your face. May God give you grace and peace in whatever circumstances you are going through, and may he strengthen you as you come out of these struggles by his power. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts...