Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Angels in Disguise:



Hebrews 13:1-2
Keep on loving each other as brothers.  Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

The past couple of weeks I have had a lot of extra time on my hands.  I'm not working right now as I anxiously await the birth of our daughter.  This extra time has brought with it many unexpected interactions with strangers- from the cashier at the grocery store to the electrician coming to fix our home.

I've noticed something interesting during these interactions with strangers the past few weeks.  Upon showing a little warmth- people begin to really let their guard down.  The bible talks about this concept in Hebrews 13 as Christians are encouraged to show brotherly love and hospitality to those they come into contact with.  Another translation calls us to show "hospitality" to strangers...a term that doesn't just mean opening our homes, but even more so, opening our hearts.

I've had some significant conversations with strangers the past few weeks...learning about their family struggles, financial problems, relationship concerns.  Hearing about their lives, their jobs and their journeys.  All in all, God has given me miraculous opportunities to share His love.
 
I don't think there has been anything special about this month, and I don't think these things have been coincidences.  The only change I can seem to really pin point has been me.  I have made myself available.  I have allowed myself to take the time.  I have stepped out of myself for a moment and into the worlds of others.  

And as I read this verses, I can't help but wonder....were these opportunities meant to help others, or were these opportunities really meant to help me?  What if these moments are made to allow me the chance to realize how attached I am to a daily schedule, and to release me into the freedom of God's time-line.  What if they were meant to give me humility by allowing the lives of others to be more important than mine for even just a moment.   What if they were created to allow me to get a glimpse of the true state of my heart?


There is no way to be sure, but one thing is clear- these moments are of high significance.  God want's to know what we are really made of- especially when we think no one is looking.

If what the book of Hebrews is saying is true- we may think we're showing love to strangers...and unknowingly be entertaining something even greater.  Angels.  Seems strange, doesn't it?  Doesn't even seem possible if you really think about it.  But the reality is, this verse is right there- smack dab in the middle of the New Testament.  I'm telling you, it's more than just a strange song by the Newsboys.  Whether we are comfortable with it or not, it is reality.  It's almost as though God has sent these messengers to give us the opportunity to really put our faith into action.  To really live out what we believe. 

I don't know about you, but that will definitely make me think twice about the next conversation I have, for the cashier at the grocery store or the homeless guy on the side of the road may just end up being something divine in disguise.  

6 comments:

  1. Deb,

    You say "were these opportunities meant to help others, or were these opportunities really meant to help me? ". I think the great thing about God is that it probably helps both. It's amazing to think that God could use us so that we can enhance to lives of each other and better know him - each gaining what God intended from the experience. Thanks for sharing.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie

    What wonderful thoughts Deborah! We do never know when we are entertaining angels. It's interesting to note how little time we actually spend listening to others. We are so busy these days. When we are hospitable folks do warm up quite a bit. I, for one, must consciously stop myself from finishing people's sentences or intentionally changing the subject. People today are in desperate need of a person they can connect with one to one - Someone who cares for others. Is it any wonder that "Skype", "Twitter", etc. are so popular today. Whether it is a next door neighbor or a stranger let us all remember that people need a good "friend" to converse with and isn't this the very way God wired us...to be relational...to share our lives with others…to care for others. The interactions we have may be a divine appointment. Out of this simple interaction may develop a relationship that could blossom. Perhaps, over time, our friends will warm-up to the truth that God so desires to have a relationship with them. Keep entertaining "strangers:.
    Deborah.

    Roland C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, I think you're right about that...it's amazing how God can use us and change us all at the same time. Thanks for reading and for always giving such great input, it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roland, you make some really good points. People are longing to connect, and so many times we are on our own agendas and totally miss it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and thanks for coming back to read:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this article, and the points it makes. I have a true story that proves the fact that God sends angels in various forms. A man, whom we assumed to be obviously homeless, came up to us asking for a cigarette. We told him we do not smoke and he went about his way. Our backs were turned not even 2 minutes and when we turned around he was gone! I think God tests you to see if you'll be nice or rude, and also if you'll help. What if God walks among us?? What if the angels walk among us?? The point is you never know. Judge not, lest ye be judged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,
    Thanks for your thoughts. That's an interesting story you share, and definitely a reminder for us to be deliberate in our behavior. Thanks for reading and for taking the time to share your thoughts! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts...