Thursday, March 10, 2011

Meditations for Lent:



John 12:24
24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

In an attempt to prepare my heart this season of Lent I was reading through John 12 yesterday, contemplating what I was going to "give up".  For many, the season of lent is something that has lost it's meaning through the tradition- giving up things for the sake of giving them up, rather for the sake of drawing closer to God.  


As I was considering what to "give up", I wanted to make sure that I was sacrificing with the right heart- not just to "say" I was participating in lent.  This beautiful verse caught my attention, as it usually does- and took my heart back to the true meaning of this season.  


Death.  


I don't mean to sound morbid, but really, how do you get around that when reflecting on this season of LentThese days, in preparation for Easter, are centered around the concept of death founded in the crucifixion of our Savior.  Death of the perfect Lamb of God.  Death to the bondage of sin and death.  Death to the prisons of self: Self-centeredness.  Self-hatred.  Selfishness.  Self-absorption.  Self-gratification.  

Death to self, in order to open ourselves up to life in Christ.  


In a tiny way, this season of Lent...this season of "giving up" is one small way to allow the seeds of our SELF to die, so that the life of Jesus may flourish in our own lives.  

So, no matter what you choose to lay down this season of Lent, remember this one thing: "Nothing, how little so ever it be, if it is suffered for God's sake, can pass without merit in the sight of God."- Thomas a Kempis.

As you learn to die daily to self in this season of Lent, may you be filled continually with His life.

5 comments:

  1. This is a good idea to do one of these a day for Lent. "As you learn to die daily to self" is beautiful. It's a common theme in most major religions.

    And remember, without death, life would be purposeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I stumbled upon your blog through a Twitter post RT by Bongo. This was an amazing piece and I plan to RT also. I find myself wondering what to "give up" knowing I really need to focus on having a stronger connection. Thank you for putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin,
    You are right....without death, life loses it's meaning. Thank you for reading and for your ideas. Much appreciated. God bless you this season.

    Chrystal,
    So glad you found your way here. Thank you for your kind words, and for taking the time to pass it along. It is hard to figure out what to give up, but in the end it's the state of our heart that really matters more than what we decide to give up. May God give you a stronger connection with Him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit..I don't truly understand..Ash Wednesday ..Lent etc......I don't understand the purpose of giving something up to prove ourselves to God.. Is that required? Actually I've never understood a lot of the "holidays" at all....why is one day any more special then another... though I admit I'm not very good at that connection....when I am connected...it's not because of a "holiday" or a "symbol"...Not bashing them and maybe off track here... I just don't understand it....thanx for the stirring up ....As always..XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts Bongo....I have heard it said that things like this are not meant for us to try and get God's attention...but a way for Him to finally get OUR attention. He's always there...it's just sad that it takes "special events" for us to take the time and focus on Him. Maybe more of us should be like you, connecting EVERY day, rather than just on special days. Appreciate your sincerity and genuineness, thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts...